2016 is here! Last year was a great time for technology advancements, industry changes and overall growth.
Mergers and acquisitions dominated the landscape, data breaches wreaked havoc and new technologies gave retailers and brands sales opportunities.
Among the largest mergers and acquisitions:
- Dow Chemical and DuPont became DowDuPont, now the world’s largest chemical company.
- IBM bought the Weather Company (and all related assets, including the data collection technology).
- Although not finalized, Pfizer and Allergan are hoping to combine and create the largest pharmaceutical company in the world.
- Similarly, Walgreens bought Rite Aid – a $17.2 billion dollar deal.
- Kraft and Heinz merged to create the world’s fifth largest food and beverage company.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller are now a global brewing titan.
- In November, Marriott bought Starwood – creating the world’s largest hotel company.
- Finally, the Federal Trade Commission blocked a merger between Staples and Office Depot at the very end of 2015.
Other news from 2015 includes…
- As part of their Global Responsibility Report, Starbucks discussed the importance of ethically sourced coffee, water conservation and LEED-certified stores.
- Mobile technology continues to rise. Apple Watch sales have hit at least $7 million.
- Tenet Partners released a list of the most powerful brands of 2015. Coca-Cola topped the list.
- American consumers like to: snack, live alone and many have food allergies.
- Retailers must focus on data collection and analysis, according to the 2015 Mobile World Congress.
- Smartphones continue to change the way consumers shop, but not the way you think.
- Millennials are responsible for an $18 billion food revolution. Favorite brands for the demographic include Trader Joes, Kraft and store brands.
- Forbes released a list of the 25 most Innovative Consumer and Retail Brands during 2015 .
- Latinas are becoming the majority consumer and heavily influencing the U.S. retail industry.
We are excited to see what the new year will bring!